Of course we need to think about what’s in our water. It’s supposed to be the best drink for us, yet it’s often filled with harmful bacteria, viruses, lead and heavy metals. The great news it’s fast and easy to filter contaminated water and drink it safely.
There are many times you will benefit from a water bottle with a filter:
- At home, work, school, gym
- Traveling abroad, local travel, hotels, motels
- Hiking, backpacking, camping, RVing, Scouts
- Emergency preparedness and prepping
- When you refill from a drinking fountain
- If you live in areas with severe weather, such as tornadoes or hurricanes
- Basically, use it anytime you want to know you’re drinking clean water without harmful pathogens.
Best water bottle with filter
- LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle with LifeStraw Filter
- GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier
- Runner up as it’s not as versatile for travel but is the best for kids and good for everyday use Brita Water Bottle with Filter
Best Water Bottle with Filter Review
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle with LifeStraw Filter
This is a great leak-free, BPA-free plastic water bottle with filter.
- Best use: Great for traveling, hiking, camping, etc., as well as work and around town.
- Why: I like the option that you can drink water from a stream or pond as well as tap water. It’s lightweight.
- Capacity: 23 ounces
- Best feature: The filter will stop taking on water when it’s time to be changed, which is fantastic so you will know for sure when it isn’t working anymore.
- Also great: You won’t need to replace the filter for awhile. It will work for 264 gallons of water.
- Lightweight: 5 ounces
LifeStraw is an industry leader, known for quality products. Their water bottle filtration system eliminates 99.99% of waterborne bacteria and waterborne protozoan parasites.
The LifeStraw Go Water Bottle is one of the only water bottles with filters that can filter water from ponds and streams as well as regular tap water. It’s light and it’s leak proof too which make it ideal to bring on hikes, camping, and while traveling.
I love how light it is when empty, just over 5 ounces. Like most plastic water bottles, this is hand wash only.
GRAYL Ultralight Purifier Bottle
This is the latest and greatest in purifying and filtering water. It’s also BPA-free and doesn’t leak.
- Best use: Easy to take anywhere.
- Why: Purifies and filters water fast. I like that I can change out the water filter to a water purifier to use when adventuring outdoors in nature. It will work with any freshwater source.
- Capacity: 16 ounces
- Best feature: Takes just 15 seconds until you can drink clean water.
- Also great: This is essential when you travel internationally.
- Lightweight: 10.9 ounces
- How does it work? Think of a French press — you use your body weight to press down on it.
We love it because it offers great filtration and water purification (easily change it to a water purifying filter). It does a great job of filtering silt and particles.
You can filter 40 gallons of water before needing a replacement cartridge. GRAYL products are also exceptional at removing 99.999% of what you don’t want in your water, including bacteria, viruses and protozoa. It also will filter dangerous heavy metals, particulates while removing odors.
This is also hand-wash only. GRAYL redesigned this bottle to be very lightweight while offering the superior ability to remove contaminants.
Just a filter: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
LifeStraw also offers an essential item — the filter on it’s own. This small filter is great because it’s:
- Lightweight: At just 2 ounces, you can bring it anywhere.
- Ideal for outside activities: It eliminates 99.99% of parasites and bacteria.
- Lasts a long time: One filter can filter 1,000 liters of water.
- Best feature: It’s just so small and handy and easy to take with you. There really isn’t a reason not to own one, even just for an emergency situation.
You won’t need iodine tabs or batteries or anything to eliminate toxins from any freshwater source. This is truly a must-have item but know that this is just the filter, not the water bottle too.
Keep it in your car, bring it when traveling, RV-ing, hiking, camping or keep it as part of your emergency-preparedness planning. It can be absolutely invaluable and possibly lifesaving should you ever need to use it.
Best water bottle with filter — other bottles we reviewed
Brita Water Bottle with Filter
- Best use: The gym, for toting around town, and for your kids at school.
- Best kids water bottle with filter: This is perfect for children who refill water using drinking fountains.
- Why: These would be fine for work too but have a more sports-look to them. Also good for hiking because they are lightweight but you have to bring your own water, not source it from nature.
- Capacity: 20 ounces or 24 ounces
- Downside: This isn’t geared toward outdoor activities or international travel
We like Brita products as Brita is a long-time recognized name in water filtration for the home. One of their water bottle filters can filter the equivalent of 300 of the standard 16.9 ounce sized water bottles. They are made from BPA-free plastic.
Great for kids at school water fountains
I like that I can throw this bottle in my gym bag and not worry about it leaking. I typically fill it up at home and once again after my workout from my gym’s water fountain. Who knows how often places service their water fountains, so this is a great bottle to choose if you or your kids refill at water fountains at school, the gym, at work, etc.
These Brita water bottles filter out lead, chlorine, and other contaminants for fresher tasting water. They come in a set of two. My kids use these in the hotter months during the school year, and say they are easy to refill at their school’s water fountain.
We love products made in the USA and Bobble bottles are.
- Best use: The gym, work and toting around town.
- Why: Easy to take with me.
- Capacity: Vary in size.
- Downside: Can also take hiking and biking but need to have your own water source. You can’t use this to purify water from rivers and streams.
The Bobble with water filter is meant to filter tap water, and they do an excellent job of filtering water to make it free from chlorine and other common organic contaminants.
These filtered water bottles comes in a wide range of colors. The filter lasts for 300 bottle refills. Plus it has a recyclable carbon filter.
Bobble Bottles are so fun, cute and colorful, I always get a compliment when I use one of the two I own.
Best water tumbler with filter
ZeroWater Portable Filtration Tumbler
This tumbler isn’t leakproof but we love it all the same.
- Best use: Taking it from your home to the office, around town, toting in your car’s drink holder, etc.
- Why: I like drinking from a straw in the car instead of tilting my head back — eyes-off-the-road hazard — with the traditional water bottle.
- Best feature: What I love about the ZeroWater tumbler is that there is a color-changing indicator right on the filter so you know when it’s time to change it.
- Capacity: 26 ounces
The ZeroWater Portable Filtration Tumber can be used with or without the filter. The only downside to this for traveling is that it has a removable straw that doesn’t seal. You wouldn’t want to take this hiking, etc. Otherwise, we love it. It quickly filters water in 5-stages to remove 99.6% of dissolved solids.
Note, this is a water filter for a tumbler. It beats other brands filters for tumblers for eliminating the contaminants typically found in tap water, including:
Pesticides: removes 14 common, known pesticides
VOCs volatile organic compounds: removes these as well
So many times you don’t know if a filter is still working and effective.
This tumbler comes with the filter already included. There’s also an option to buy a set that comes with two additional filters
Best Water Bottle with Filter Guide
When buying a water bottle with a filter inside of it, there are a few important features to consider:
1) What is the water bottle made from? All of the water bottles we’ve featured are BPA Free. Many people prefer stainless steel water bottles because they trust stainless steel more than unknown chemicals in plastic. (I always prefer stainless bottles or glass water bottles when available.)
2) What exactly can the filter, filter? Does it only remove chlorine? Or also lead or other toxic chemicals? Note that the majority of water bottles with filters are for potable water, like you get from your sink or a drinking fountain. Before you fill your water bottle from a lake or stream, check whether it can be used to filter microorganisms and toxins. (And be sure to double check the claims and do your own research before taking risks with unclean water. If you’re going somewhere and you want to ensure you have safe, clean water, we recommend a Steri-Pen.)
3) How long will the filter last before you need a new one? There’s a big difference if a filter has to be changed after 150 uses compared to 300 refills.
Best filtered water bottle for personal water filtration
There are many filtered water bottles to choose from, but these remain our favorites. You will be glad you have it whether you use it everyday or are looking to use it just occasionally. If you are looking for the best portable water purifier for travel or for several people, there are many great ones as well.LIFESAVER Systems 4000 Ultra Filtration Water Bottle
- How to Choose Healthy Water Bottle – 34 Resources
- Bring your own water bottle
- Filtered Water Bottle Review
- PBS Interview on Plastics and Safety
- CamelBak BPA Free Better Bottle Water Bottle Review
- Klean Kanteen Stainless Steel Water Bottle Review
- Healthy Water While Traveling Abroad – Tips to Stay Safe
- Mavea Water Pitcher Review: Stylish and Effective
We love the fresh, clean taste of water and like to feel good about using a reusable water bottle so using a water bottle with a filter is a good idea. Eliminate the dissolved solids and other contaminants and enjoy water again. Filters eliminate odors and improve clarity as well.
All of these are great choices. When you consider:
- Where you will be using it most often
- Where you will be sourcing the water
Then you will be able to choose the best water bottle with filter. Some will be more practical for you, depending on where you see yourself using the water bottle most often and where you will be sourcing the water from.
Maybe you want to use it everyday; it’s essential for traveling. Or maybe you want one to be prepared in case of emergencies. Whether you live in a tornado or hurricane-prone area or are prepping or not, it makes sense to have a way to have access to clean water.