The Proximity Hotel is located in Greensboro, North Carolina and was built as a “green” hotel in 2007. The hotel has 147 guest rooms, banquet and conference space, and a full-service restaurant. During the construction of the hotel, over 70 different sustainable methods were used. The Proximity Hotel is considered to be a role model in “green” hotel construction. The regulations of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System were followed during the building phase, which earned it the highest rating possible from the organization. Compared to a standard hotel, Proximity was built to use 30 percent less water and 40 percent less energy.
Learn about finding an LEED hotel here.
Guests will enjoy all of the latest and greatest in accommodations and amenities during a visit. Rooms are available from a spacious two-bed guest room to a two bedroom guest suite. All of the rooms are decorated with original art, custom furniture, and have double sink vanities. Guests will also enjoy newspaper delivery each morning, coffee makers, microwaves, mini-coolers, complimentary Wi-Fi, and some of the luxury rooms offer a gorgeous view of the city.
Travelers can take advantage of the amenities offered at the Proximity. You can start the day with an early morning workout in the fitness studio, take a dip in the pool, relax in the garden while enjoying a good book, catch up on emails in the working lobby, meet up with the rest of your party in the social lobby, or enjoy dining and a drink at the Print Works Bistro.
While enjoying everything that the hotel and the area have to offer, guests can also feel good that they are doing their part in keeping the environment clean. The following are some of the innovative “green” ways the hotel was constructed:
- The rooftop of the hotel is covered with 100 solar panels; it is these panels that heat 60 percent of the water used in the restaurant and hotel.
- The Print Works Bistro is made from solid walnut wood that was salvaged from sick trees or trees that succumbed to storms.
- The restaurant’s refrigeration is run by geothermal energy versus a water cooled system.
- Much of the materials used in construction were recycled or salvaged in the following percentages: sheetrock – 100 percent, reinforced steel – 90 percent, asphalt – 25 percent, steel used in staircases – 50 percent
- The waste from construction was 87 percent recycled which resulted in saving 1,535 tons of debris from going to landfills.
- High efficiency Kohler fixtures were used throughout the building, which in turn is reducing water usage by 33 percent.
We love hotels going green
This is just a small portion of the methods that were used in building the green hotel. During a stay here, guests can visit the educational center, which can teach them about sustainable practices. A tour of the hotel is also available, in which all of the sustainable methods will be pointed out. The Proximity advocates the use of the green spaces in the community surrounding the hotel, such as the five mile biking and walking trail known as the Greenway. The hotel has bikes available for guests to use to take a ride on the nearby Greenway. Guests will not be disappointed with the safe, friendly, and clean atmosphere in and around the Proximity Hotel for those who consider staying at hotels going green.