Last Updated on
I stumbled upon Simple Satire ecoSNEAKS two years ago during my search for an environmentally-friendly alternative to my beloved Vans tennis shoes. I wanted shoes that were more durable than the Vans, but as attractive.
I was even willing to sacrifice the awesome velcro, but only for the right eco-friendly shoe. Then I saw it: the Simple Satire, a member of Simple’s ecoSNEAKs line. These are also recommended for Unique Valentine’s Day Gifts for Your Favorite Green Traveler
Features of Simple Satire ecoSNEAKS
- Certified organic cotton uppers with recycled PET laces
- Vegan shoe! No animal byproducts or even regular animal products
- Certified organic cotton linings
- The “pedbed” (the cushiony and supportive stuff at the bottom of the shoe) is made of super soft and squishy polyurethane and recycled car tire
- Partially recycled shoe – the bottom of this shoe is made from a recycled car tire
- The foot form inserts are made of post consumer recycled paper
- Even the boxes are environmentally friendly – made of post-consumer recycled paper, soy based printing ink, natural latex and starch based glue
I quickly ordered the black hemp version (they also come in leather, silk, and suede) and eagerly awaited their arrival. I ordered black because, of course, I wanted something I could wear with almost anything. If I bought another pair, I would look at other varieties as well.
I was happy when I opened the box: the shoes were cute and looked durable. I slipped them on and promptly wore them as I walked the monuments in Washington, DC. The 5+ mile walk was quite the initial test, but I wasn’t as excited as I wanted to be.
I wanted to love them. I wanted them to be my go-everywhere, perfect travel shoe. But I found them less comfortable than I hoped; specifically, the sole didn’t have enough cushion.
It almost felt like I was wearing flip flops — the ball of my foot had virtually no support. And my arches were completely unsupported. I hope Simple has improved the “pedbed” in newer editions of the shoes.
The Pros and Cons of Simple ecoSNEAKS
In summary, the pros:
- Very eco-friendly — where else can you get a shoe made with recycled tires
- Can dress them up or down
- Comfortable except for the sole
- Lacking arch support – my Vans lacked arched support so I was expecting this and also okay with it.
- Not enough padding in pedbed
- Since they’re made with old tires, they’re a bit heavy for travel
Would I recommend the Simple Women’s Satire?
Yes, I would — for everyday wear. If you’re walking more than a couple miles, I’d stick with traditional tennis shoes. I also wouldn’t recommend them as being your sole (no pun intended) travel shoe, since they’re a bit heavy and not as comfortable as other travel shoes I’ve tried. For that, I’d recommend a more supportive hiking boot.
Check out Best Travel Shoes: Travel Sandals, Walking Shoes, and Hiking Boots plus Zappos Review for more travel recommendations.
But these are cute and while I’m not one to follow the trends, they are trendy. The Simple Satire ecoSNEAKS are a fun addition to any wardrobe.