Glass water bottles are becoming more popular as people seek to be healthier. They are BPA-free, easy to clean, and are often made from recycled glass. Depending on the brand, they may not be made in China like other water bottles.
The best thing about glass water bottles is you will never have to worry about plastic breaking down over time. Also great is they are dishwasher safe, saving you time from hand-washing and ensuring they are germ-free.
Yes, there is the chance of it breaking if you drop it. But you will buy a glass water bottle with a silicone holder — which most of them have — so you will protect the bottle and may get lucky should it drop.
After years of using glass water bottles, I’ve accidentally dropped them 8-9 times. But only once did one break. It broke on my concrete driveway. It really depends where you are, and how it hits when it lands.
The best things about glass water bottles are also that there won’t be a metallic taste when you drink from glass water bottles. Chemicals won’t leach into your water like they might from plastics or non-food grade metals.
Worth repeating is that you can usually put them in the dishwasher which you can’t do with other types of reusable water bottles. This is a huge time saver, especially if you get in the habit of bringing your glass water bottle with you every day.
And because you can wash them in the dishwasher, you may find yourself adding tea bags or fruit to your water knowing you can wash it out well.
Best Glass Water Bottles
I am always on the lookout for the best glass water bottles and love trying them out. Here’s a review of glass water bottles. All of these bottles are lead-free and BPA-free.
- EcoVessel Surf Glass Water Bottle: 22 ounces. Made with up to 60% recycled glass. Dishwasher safe. This one has a flip straw top.
- Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle
- Camelback Glass Eddy
- Takeya glass water bottle: 22 ounces. Twist cap. The silicone sleeve protects most of this bottle making it safer if you drop it. You can still see inside it. We love that it’s dishwasher safe. Bottle opening is 1.25 inches. You can definitely fit ice cubes in it but not as easily as a wide-mouth bottle. The glass bottle is made in Japan; the silicone sleeve and cap are made in China.
- Ello Pure BPA-free glass water bottle: 20 oz. Twist cap; no straw. This one is made in China. However, they offer so many colors that it’s a popular choice. It has a smaller mouth opening which takes longer to fit ice cubes in.
Be sure to check out our review of the recycled glass water bottles: Eco Vessel and Zulu.
Glass water bottle review
For my use, the best glass water bottle is the Lifefactory 22 ounce bottle. The Lifefactory 22 ounce glass water bottle is easy to grip. It has a wide mouth which makes easy to add ice to it.
With the wide opening, it’s very easy to clean the bottle too, though I usually put it in the dishwasher. Plus, because of the silicone grip if there’s condensation on the bottle it won’t be slippery.
Like most of these water bottles, it’s dishwasher safe (even the silicone sleeve). This bottle has the best reviews on Amazon. (Also note that they make a glass Lifefactory baby bottle.) These bottles are made in France, and the silicone sleeves are made in the United States.
UPDATE: CamelBak has come out with a glass version of their popular Eddy glass water bottle. The CamelBak glass Eddy is a great bottle. (Read our review of it.)
Other glass water bottles
The Takeya glass water bottle comes in sizes 16 ounces and 25 ounces and features a silicone sleeve. They also have a wide mouth. Takeya glass bottles are made in Japan.
A great option is buy 6 Aquasana 18-ounce bottles. These bottles also have wide mouths but they don’t come with silicone sleeves.
You can, however buy a 6 pack of colorful silicone sleeves designed just for these bottles on Amazon. These bottles are a little smaller than some, holding 18 ounces of water.
Bormioli Rocco Giara Bottles are made in Italy (though there is some indication that some are made in the United States) and very reasonably priced.
They come in the largest size of the glass water bottles at 33 3/4 ounces and there are lots of cool colors. These bottles seem to us to be more for your dining table instead of toting about, however.
The Love Water Bottle allows you to write on your own bottle. However, these glass bottles are made in China.
Glass Water Bottles Made in the U.S.A
(…or at least not made in China)
Glass water bottles that are (mostly) made in America include Lifefactory and BottlesUp bottles. Because of production costs and requirements, it’s difficult to find a glass water bottle made in the USA completely. Lifefactory’s bottles are made in the USA, Poland, and France.
Parts of BottlesUp glass water bottles are made in the USA; the other parts are all made in North and Central America.
These (partially) American-made bottles are the only bottles I can find that are made in the US. Even though it’s tough to find a bottle made in America, the glass bottles listed above, with the exception of the Love Bottle, are not made in China.
Why Use a Glass Water Bottle
Glass bottles are free of chemicals including BPA/S, phthalates, PVC, lead and cadmium.
With a glass water bottle you know what you’re getting – a BPA free water bottle that’s durable and dishwasher safe. People tend to prefer glass bottles to stainless steel water bottles because they are made in countries other than China.
Plus, if you don’t like the slight metallic taste that comes with some stainless bottles you’d likely want to try a glass bottle. They also usually can be washed in the dishwasher safely.
It’s also great to be able to see into the water bottle. Other water bottles, especially if they aren’t cleaned well, can grow mold if they aren’t washed well and air-dried. But how would you know if you can’t see inside?
Downsides to Glass Water Bottles
The biggest problem with glass bottles is that they break more easily than stainless steel. The silicone cases are supposed to help, but because they break so easily a glass water bottle may not be the best choice for children.
What to Considering when You Buy Glass Water Bottles
- Size: The Sizes of water bottles made of glass vary – ranging from 22 ounces to 33 ounces. (Though there are also very large containers, see below.) Depending on your access to water during the course of the day you may want a larger bottle.
- Sling/Protection: The best bottles have a built-in protection via a silicone sleeve. But depending on your lifestyle and use for the bottle you may be fine with no sling or protection. But really, you won’t regret having this sleeve. It’s meant to stay on the bottle, even in the dishwasher. It will protect your bottle and give it more of a chance if you should drop it.
- Where It’s Made and Manufactured: As previously mentioned, many people like glass water bottles because they aren’t made in China. If this is important to you consider the bottles that are manufactured in France, Italy, or the US.
- Use of the Bottle: Are you planning on using your glass water bottle for sports? Hiking? Sitting at your desk? Around your house? You may want a wide-mouth bottle if you are more active or one with a straw if you will use it a lot while driving.
- Straw or No Straw: I prefer drinking right from the bottle so my mouth is on the glass and not a silicone straw. It’s also more difficult to clean when there is a straw. But this is really a personal preference.
Large 3 Gallon Glass Water Bottle or 5 Gallon Glass Water Bottle
These are great for storing water as well as more making homemade beer and wine. They are generally not for toting water around, however.
BPA Free Water Bottles
Can You Just Reuse a Glass Water Bottle?
You can certainly choose to reuse a glass water bottle from another container. Or you can buy a 12 pack of Voss Water which is packaged in 27 ounces glass bottles and just reuse those bottles.
We did review the Eco Vessel Glass Water Bottle…and it’s one of our favorites!
What is the best glass water bottle?
We believe the best glass water bottles have a plastic sleeve on it and is one that you will use.
Decide if you prefer the screw on top which is easier to clean and prevents leaks, or if you prefer one with a flip cap, which is easier to open and close and use in general, especially on the go.
It’s great to use a reusable water bottle, whether it is glass, plastic or stainless steel. Get in the habit of carrying one wherever you go. Not only will you likely be taking on healthier habits — drinking water — you will reducing the demand for plastic.
When you choose a glass water bottle, you know it’s BPA-free. Learn from the Mayo Clinic why you want to avoid BPA.