There are numerous luggage options you can choose from when embarking on a trip or journey. For frequent travelers, choosing a decent piece of luggage is important. They can use it over a longer time period and not have to think about the luggage they would have to take each time. From suitcases to duffels, the options are varied. One of the best choices you can make is buying a travel backpack. Backpacks have for long been associated with hitchhiking and adventurous trips, yet they can prove to be just as effective on a business trip or for children flying alone. After all, it is about keeping your things safe, accessible, and being easy to carry.
Best Travel Backpack Benefits and Options
Backpacks have come a long way over the years. You will find considerable variety in the market, so much that it could become difficult for you to make a decision. Needless to say, you have to make sure you select the best travel backpack for you so that it lasts long and can fulfill your needs. You might still not be convinced about the option of taking a backpack with you while travelling as tote bags and miniature suitcases are options. That being said, there are several reasons why you should opt for a travel backpack over the others. Let’s look at some of them. You can also checkout our article on How to Choose the Best Travel Backpack: 9 Tips
Benefits of Travel Backpacks
To truly enjoy the convenience and benefits a backpack offers when you are travelling, it is imperative that you opt for the best travel backpack available to you. Before you select one, here are some benefits the right one will offer:
Travel Backpacks Store Easily
First and foremost, it is extremely simple for you to store a travel backpack as compared to other luggage options. You can easily put your travel backpack in the overhead compartment on a plane or a train. It can go under your seat on the bus and won’t take much space in the trunk if you are travelling by car. The sides of travel backpacks generally are soft and can be cinched to fit into tight spaces. That being said, if your backpack is packed to the brim, it would be difficult for you to cinch it. Aside from that, there is no other piece of luggage you can store as conveniently.
You wouldn’t find it difficult to carry your travel backpack for hours and hours. This is because the weight of the backpack and the stuff within is divided across your shoulders, back and hips. This way, the strain of carrying the backpack is evenly spread out, ensuring you don’t feel fatigued after carrying the backpack for a while. The best travel backpack brands focus on making their luggage ergonomically-friendly. This is why their backpacks are easy to carry. Moreover, backpacks have thick straps which have added padding on them to ensure they don’t ‘cut into’ your shoulders and back when you put the backpack on.
Travel Backpacks Pack Easily
Perhaps the most important advantage of buying a good travel backpack is that it would help you keep your stuff organized. If you are going on a long trip, it is possible you want to take a lot of items with you. Keeping them organized could be a hassle if you cannot store them properly. Backpacks have compartments for the smaller items and sections for the larger ones. Regardless of whether it is a plane ticket or a pair of shoes, your things remain organized and in one place. You don’t have to fret over getting all your stuff packed before leaving for your next destination or going home.
Move Around Easily
Another great benefit of opting for a travel backpack is the portability it offers. There are few (if any) pieces of luggage you can move as easily as you can a backpack. Since you can wear it on your shoulders, you can easily carry it with you. This makes it simpler for you to get your luggage through crowded areas. All around, travel backpacks are easier to move around than rolling suitcases or totes.
Lastly, the best travel backpack will surely be made of materials that are durable and weatherproof. This includes waterproofing as well. The things you keep inside the backpack remain safe. This is a great advantage if you are going to be staying outdoors most of the time. Backpacks have been considered ideal for campers. These are some of the reasons why opting for a travel backpack over any other luggage option is a great idea for you. As mentioned above, to make the most of your backpack, it is important that you know how to select the best travel backpack. In the next section, you will find some tips regarding selecting a travel backpack that suits your needs and preferences.
How to Choose the Best Travel Backpack
What makes a travel backpack the best? There are a number of factors that you have to keep in mind. You can buy the most expensive backpack available on the market and yet it may not serve your purpose. It may be considered the best by experts but if it doesn’t fulfill your needs, you wouldn’t think of it as the best travel backpack, would you? To help you make the right choice, here are a few pointers you can use:
- First off, you need to ensure the backpack you select is made of weather-resistant materials yet is lightweight. You don’t want to be dragging around a heavy backpack just because it is 100% waterproof. Any bag that prevents the items inside from getting wet while being easy to carry around is good enough. The best option is to get a backpack that comes with additional tarps you can use in case of rain or snow.
- Next, you need to make sure that each compartment of the backpack has two zippers and more importantly, the zippers can be locked together. Security might not be a major concern when you are travelling outdoors but you don’t want insects and animals of the wild getting into your travel backpack while you are not paying attention.
- Any travel backpack that has a number of compartments is a good choice for you. As mentioned above, buying the best travel backpack helps you keep your stuff organized. For that, you have to buy one that has multiple compartments. The best backpacks on the market have several compartments, both big and small. Therefore, you can neatly arrange the belongings you want to pack in your backpack and keep them safe. This way, you won’t have to search your backpack every time you want to take something out.
- One of the most important factors you should consider is the location of the frame of the backpack. Gone are the days when travel backpacks with huge external metal frames were ‘in’. Now, the better backpacks are constructed with an internal frame. This way, the frame is hidden from view and tucked away inside the backpack.
- An optional feature that makes carrying the backpack easier is a hip belt. You can attach it around your hip to put more weight on your hips and reduce the burden on your shoulders. Generally, travel backpacks have adjustable hip belts which you can tighten or loosen as per your needs. Make sure the belt (if available) is padded so that it doesn’t dig into your skin.
- Talking about padding, you should reject any travel backpacks you see that don’t have padded shoulder straps. You have to keep in mind that the backpack is going to be on your shoulders for the most part. If the straps aren’t padded, it would be uncomfortable for you to carry the backpack around, especially if it is heavy. The thicker the padding, the better it is for you.
- The same goes for the back as well. The back of the backpack should be padded as well. After all, you cannot consider a backpack the best travel backpack unless it is comfortable for you to carry around. Having padding all around wouldn’t make it lighter but certainly easier to carry.
Apart from these factors mentioned above, you also need to consider the size of the backpack. For instance, a backpack that is generally considered big may not be as big for you. The ideal size will depend on your height and body type. You may feel comfortable carrying around an 80-litre travel backpack, while some people struggle to put on a 40-litre one. The best way to decide is to actually put on the backpack. Only then can you judge whether or not it is the right size for you. If you are buying it online, it might be tricky for you to do so. In that case, you will have to see pictures and calculate dimensions before making a decision.
Most importantly, you have to figure out the amount of money you want to spend on a backpack. It wouldn’t be the best travel backpack if you can’t afford to buy it. Therefore, have a budget in mind before you start looking for one. The general price range is $99 to $300 for the best travel backpack brands. You shouldn’t expect to spend more than $200 on a topnotch travel backpack. With extended warranties on them, they should last a long time.
To make finding one even easier, let’s look at some of the best travel backpacks already available in the market.
5 Travel Backpacks to Check Out
- The Minaal Carry-on Backpack is quite the rage these days. The size of the backpack may be small, topping out at 35 liters, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t fulfill your needs. If you check out the online demo, you will see you can pack all the stuff you need while travelling in this backpack easily. Moreover, it comes with a rain cover. That being said, the Minaal Carry-on aims to be a one-size-fits-all backpack. There are no options in terms of size and since it is fairly new on the market, its durability is under a cloud.
- The Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack, Charcoal, Medium/Large is a great choice for people conscious about the size of their travel backpack. It is available in two different sizes, ideal for people of any height and size. In fact, if you are shorter than 5’3”, this is by far the best travel backpack on the market for you.
- The Goruck GR2 is as durable as durable can be. The price tag is heavy at $395, but this is one travel backpack that will last you a lifetime. It was originally designed to be used by the military and therefore has a rugged texture and appearance. This might make it uncomfortable to carry around over long distances but if you want to keep your belongings safe, this is the best travel backpack.
- The Timbuk2 Aviator Wheeled Backpack, Carbon/Carbon Ripstop, Largeis the perfect travel backpack for air travel. It can be taken on the flight as a carry-on. Moreover, it has the most padding of any other backpack you find on this list, making it the most comfortable of the lot. There is plenty of space available to keep your belongings as well. Oh, you also have the option of a Wheeled version or no wheeled.
- Rounding off this list, (AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE) is the Condor 3 Day Assault Pack (Black, 3038-Cubic Inch) is the perfect size of the five backpacks on this list. This is a fantastic backpack for traveling that could be used for bushcraft, hiking, or camping. This is a budget piece of gear, however, is one high quality and a well designed piece of gear. GREAT VALUE!! It is extremely light and has plenty of padding, making it easy to carry regardless of your strength and size. The main drawback is the lack of a compartment for your laptop but if you don’t usually take your laptop with you, this is the backpack you should go for.
These are five travel backpacks on the market you can check out and choose from. Each one may have certain advantages but they are the closest in terms of meeting the criteria for the best travel backpack as outlined above.
Best Backpack ~ 9 Tips to Choose the Best Travel Backpack
Small Travel Backpack: Osprey Farpoint 40 Review
5 Tips to Enjoy Backpacking with a Toddler or Baby
Backpacking South America
Choosing the Right Travel Backpack for You